Kitchen Hacks: Reducing Food Waste

With the rising cost of produce, I really hate to waste any of it but the reality is life gets busy, we may not have the opportunity to eat everything we purchased.  This happens to me quite often with fresh fruit.  I have the best intentions.  

I drink smoothies everyday post workout so I always need frozen fruit for those.  I will take extra fruit and freeze for use later.  

Each week, I buy a bunch of bananas but only like them at a certain ripeness so I always have extras. 

Perfect Eating Bananas


Too ripe for my taste buds


Peel bananas and freeze whole


Once frozen, slice into chunks and store in freezer for use in smoothies. 

During the summer, almost every week I get a whole watermelon to slice up and snack on.  Frozen watermelon is a great way to hydrate in a smoothie.  





Sometimes I purchase fruit that is on sale with the best of intentions to eat it but don't get around to it.  That was the case with this cantaloupe that I cut up.  


These are just a couple of the ways I make sure I get my money's worth out of my produce purchases.  

Comments

Popular Posts