Simple but Versatile

One of my favorite breads is Focaccia Bread.  It is such a simple bread that you make a hundred different ways and shapes.  All you need is a basic dough recipe and where you go from there is where your creativity sends you.  

Today, I decided to make 
Rosemary, Garlic and Parmesan Focaccia Flatbreads.   

When making bread dough, I alternate on what I use to make my dough.  Today I decided to use my bread machine to make my dough but you can easily make this in your food processor as well.  If using your food processor, you'll need to activate the yeast prior to assembling all the the other ingredients.  (Tip: To activate the yeast combine in measuring cup (from recipe) 1/2 cup warm water, 1 tsp sugar, 1tbsp yeast, until foamy)
From there add ingredients into food processor as you normally would to make bread dough.  

As, I mentioned before I made my dough in my bread machine so I put the ingredients into my bread machine as they are listed.  

1 1/4 c warm water
1 tsp Agave Nectar
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp of 2-3 of your favorite dried herbs (for this recipe I used Rosemary and Thyme)
3 cups flour (2 c bread flour, 1 c white wheat flour)
Make and indentation with measuring spoon in flour and pour in 1 tbsp yeast

Select dough cycle and let the bread machine do it's business while I went on to make something else.  After 2-3 minutes I check the consistency of the dough, sometimes I need to add a tsp of flour if it is too wet and if dry a tsp or two of water.  

After an hour and a half my Focaccia dough is ready to go.  On a floured silicone mat, I pat out my dough to approx a 12x12 rectangle and with a dough cutter, cut it into 8 pieces.  I take each piece and roll over it with my dough roller (see images below, this is the best tool for bread/pizza making).  



Transfer dough to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Drizzle each piece with olive oil and rub to cover pieces with fingers.  

Here's where the creativity comes in you can top your Foccacia with your favorite vegetables, herbs and cheeses.  The possibilities are endless.  For today I used the following ingredients for my toppings: 

2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp dried rosemary 
sea salt
1/4 tsp parsley
1/4 c Parmesan cheese

Divide minced garlic between pieces and spread with a small spatula.  Sprinkle each piece with Sea Salt, then Rosemary and Parsley.  




Lightly cover with either parchment paper or saran wrap and allow to rise for 45 minutes.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.   Just before putting Focaccia in the oven sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Bake for (Flatbreads bake for 20 minutes, 1 round bake for 25-30 minutes)



Serve with your favorite dipping oil or eat plain.  For my flatbreads, I just mixed 1/4 c olive oil with 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 black pepper.

Chicken Cacciatore


A simple Italian dish that can easily be prepared on a workday.



6 Chicken Tenderloins
1/2 c flour for dredging
salt and pepper for seasoning
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp capers, chopped
1 - (15oz) can of diced tomatoes
1/2 c chicken broth
1/4 c Pinot Grigio wine  (or our favorite white wine)


In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil.  Dredge chicken in flour, arrange in a single layer in skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.  Brown both sides of chicken, remove and set aside.




 Heat 1 tbsp oil and add red bell pepper, onion, minced garlic, red pepper flakes.  Cook until onions soften, approx 5 minutes.  Add wine and cook until reduced by half.  Add tomatoes, broth, capers.  Bring to boil.  Add chicken back into pan, heat until bubbly, reduce to a simmer for 5-10 minutes.







Serve with your favorite pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.


A perfect pair.  

Comments

Popular Posts