A winter's day...

I live in Maine and usually by now we have lots of snow but this year is not the case.  In the past two weeks we've gotten most of our snow, which was finally enough for me to dig out my snow shoes and hit the woods.  My husband and I own 25 acres in Bowdoin so it's perfect for a walk in the woods.  This past summer we had a friend go through and thin out the woods so that some of the under story could grow, it had probably been 15 years since it was last cut.  We also built a small dirt bike track for my husband to enjoy in the summer and fall, I'm afraid it might be a bit muddy out there in the spring.  We had 10 dump trucks of sand hauled in to build two jumps in the middle.  Since doing all this work out behind our house, it has opened up some really nice trails for snowshoeing and enjoying the beauty of nature.  Today was the first time I've been out this winter, it was so nice.  The air was crisp and you could hear a couple birds in the distance but other then that it was just you, your heartbeat and your thoughts, so relaxing and nice to get away from the hustle bustle of life.  It was fun to look at where all the game tracks went or circled around as they searched for food.  Something found the coyote that had been killed this fall and dug it out of the snow.  The beaver bog was frozen over but there was a little patch of open water in the stream that comes off from the bog and you could see that the animals have been using it as a source of fresh water in the dead of winter.  I really enjoyed getting out and connecting with nature.  They are calling for rain tomorrow and I'm hoping that it doesn't take away all of our snow as I'm hoping to get out again on my next day off, unfortunately by the time I get home it's dark, though I could get myself a head lamp and go out on the next full moon.  I've heard it's gorgeous to do on a full moon.  We'll have to wait and see...but for today I'm glad I got to enjoy this winter day.

Comments

Popular Posts