Why Agave Nectar?

I cook and bake a lot with Agave Nectar to replace or reduce the amount of sugar in a recipe.  Both my parents are diabetics so over the years, I've experimented with different ways to make recipes more diabetic friendly.  Agave Nectar is something that started to become popular a few years ago and as I learned more about it, experimented with it, I found that it gives you the same great results as sugar with a lower glycemic index then if you use regular sugar.  It's a real sugar so it's much healthier for you then using an alternative sugar such as Truvia or Splenda.  Like many foods, there are many articles that are either pro or against Agave Nectars, many of the Clean eating articles and recipes use it.  For me it's one of those things you have to try, do your research and make your own conclusions.  I enjoy cooking with it, I only have to use a little to sweeten my baked goods.  A recipe might call for 1 1/2 c sugar and I might use 1/2 c Agave nectar and get the same results.  It's similar to substituting honey in your recipes instead of sugar which I've started to do with my fruit pies.  Agave Nectar is the one sugar alternative that has delivered consistent results for me, splenda is hit or miss when you are baking with it.  

Some websites to check out if you'd like to learn more about the benefits of Agave Nectar...or cons.  You really have to decide for yourself.  


Comments

Popular Posts