Black Bean Bisque

Recently, I went to holiday party where they served a Cuban Black Bean Bisque that was delicious.  Lately, I've been making a soup on Sunday to pack up into smaller portions for lunches for the week.  So I decided that a Black Bean Bisque would be my soup for this week.  Now to find a recipe that appealed to me, I looked at several different recipes and then adapted them to one that included ingredients that I liked.  I hope you enjoy this healthy and light soup as much as I do!

2 tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, medium chop
4-cloves garlic, fine chop
1-large carrot, medium diced
3-fresh jalapenos, seeded and diced
2-16oz cans black beans, not drained
1-15oz can fired roasted diced tomatoes
3 c beef broth (can use chicken if you prefer)
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt

Place oil in a large stockpot, over medium heat.  Saute onions, carrots and garlic until softened.  Stir in Jalapenos, cumin, cayenne, crushed red pepper, chili powder, black pepper and kosher salt.  Add beans, tomatoes and broth.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.  With an immersion blender, puree (or in small batches process in blender) until smooth.  

Serve with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt.  

Only 170 calories for 1 cup serving.  

Comments

Popular Posts